- 6 large egg whites
- 300g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- a pinch of sea salt
- 500g mixed fresh berries (such as strawberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 250g fat-free Greek yogurt
- 50g dark chocolate (70%)
- Preheat the oven to 130ºC. Place the egg whites into a clean and dry bowl. Beat with an electric whisk on a medium speed until it forms stiff peaks. With the mixer still running, gradually add the caster sugar and salt, a tablespoon at a time, then whisk on a high speed for 7 to 8 minutes, or until white and glossy. Test whether it’s done by pinching some between your fingers – if it feels completely smooth it’s ready; if it’s slightly granular it needs a little more whisking.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Divide the mixture between two batches onto the tray then use the back of a spoon to shape and swirl it, leaving a 3cm gap around the edges. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until crisp on the outside. Once cooked, leave the meringues to cool.
- Meanwhile, halve the strawberries, then place all the fruit in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of caster sugar and stir well, then leave aside to macerate.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds, then add to a large bowl with the cream and icing sugar. Whip until soft peaks form, then fold in the Greek yoghurt. Gently melt the chocolate in a small pan over a low heat.
- Spoon half the vanilla cream over one of the cooled meringues and spread it out to the edges. Top with half the berries. Layer over the second meringue and repeat with the remaining berries and drizzle with melted chocolate.